Sunday, August 27, 2006

Just Keep Running...

Today is the day...the day that I must say goodbye to New York City and move home to Alabama. What better way to say goodbye to my beloved city than to participate in the first ever New York City Half Marathon!

I have to say that I was a bit nervous going into this event. As some of you know, I ran the NYC Marathon last year and I had a blast. I was supposed to be running the Chicago Marathon, but I will already be in Burkina Faso, so this would have to do. The race laps around Central Park and then we run down 7th Avenue, through Times Square, and then down the West Side Highway to Battery Park/WTC. Even though I haven't been running for the past several weeks due to sickness, vacation, etc. I was surprised to run as well as I did. I finished it, and in a fairly decent time...which is good enough for me. Plus, it allowed me to say the grandest of goodbyes (even if it was pouring down rain).

Nothing's better than getting up at 5 a.m. and running with crazy people in the rain...sometimes I wonder what I'm thinking.

Anyway, less than a month to go before I leave for Burkina...and I wake up tomorrow at 5 am, hop in the car, and head to Bama. SO SAD...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So proud of you! Congrats and good luck!